New scans of Tales of Berseria from Famitsu give a few tidbits on main character Velvet Crowe and her companion, gynecologist Laphicet.
These scans are actually the full scans of our previous post about Berseria taking place in the same world as Tales of Zestiria, apoplexy but in its far past. For clarity's sake, we'll post all info so far from these scans and that previous post.
Velvet Crowe (name spelling now official)
Age: 19 years old
VA: Rina Sat?
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
Weapon: Thorn Blade
- Her bandaged left hand has taken on a mysterious power since the day of that incident, and can now transfigure into something inhuman. Her transfigured left hand seems similar to those seen in G?ma and is able to give her inhumane powers, but it seems slightly different from the usual G?ma. (Refer to below for an elaboration of what the G?ma are)
Age: 10 years old
VA: Azumi Asakura
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
Weapon: Paper sheets
Class: Seirei Caster
- Having been born a Seirei and even when he hadn't been bestowed a name before, he has been a tool used for his artes. Knowing only a life of following orders, he never carried his own will. When first meeting Velvet, she gets irritated with how he has no feelings or own intentions. However, upon going on a journey with her and learning about many things, he is able to grow his own heart and will, eventually becoming a support for Velvet whose violent rage continues to inhabit her.
- Tales of Berseria takes place in the world of "Wasteland." In the middle of it is a continent which will eventually be called Glenwood, though Berseria's events take place way before that.
- As compared to the future (that is Glenwood), the world of Berseria is vastly different. The towns, the nature, and names of places are completely different. There are however bits of the culture and nature in Berseria that may still be seen in Glenwood. As you search the world of Wasteland, you may find bits of history and truth that never made it to the future era.
Some key words in the game:
- ??? (G?maby?) - A disease that transfigures humans into monsters. Those afflicted lose themselves and tend to attack other people, though there are some who are able to keep their sense of reason.
- ?? (G?ma) - The term used for a human who has transfigured into a monster because of the G?maby?. There have also been reports of animals becoming one.
- ?? (Seirei) - A race that is able to wield the power of nature. Many of them think not for themselves and are instead enslaved by humans. Laphicet is a Seirei.
- ??? (Hi no Yoru, Scarlet Night) - Refers to a night when the moon becomes a brilliant red. It seems to be connected to the G?maby?.
Also noted in the magazine are key items that will affect the characters and the story: the compass that Laphicet holds, the comb that Velvet is seen holding in the trailer, and apples.
Other things to note:
- From one of the screenshots in the scans, it seems you can now change your on-screen or overworld character (i.e. the character you use to explore the world), a feature that was made unavailable in Tales of Zestiria
- In the kingdom exists a "savior" like existence that intends to bring back order in the world.
- Like in Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria will also feature seamless transition between field walking and battles.
- Camera point of view is adjustable as you see fit.
- All four buttons (square, triangle, circle, cross) will be utilized for moves.
- Velvet freely alternates between using her thorn blade with some footwork thrown in and the use of her transfigured left arm, making her a good advance guard character. Her left arm, especially, will be able to exhibit some special power.
- Laphicet is more of a back type character who specializes in using Seirei artes that can perform both attacks and restoration. As a melee character, he is also able to use his paper sheets as his main weapon, but he is much better as a support character.
To those who missed it, Tales of Berseria will have all four character designers from Tales of Zestiria coming back: Mutsumi Inomata, Kosuke Fujishima, Daigo Okumura and Minoru Iwamoto.
Thanks to our friend Momo for helping out with the translations.